- This event has passed.
How Philly Neighborhoods Killed the Crosstown Expressway
October 19, 2017 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pmFree
Find out how a diverse group of neighborhood activists helped save South Street from being destroyed in the late ’60s and early ‘70s. You can fight City Hall … and win! Panelists include:
- Joel Spivak, architect, artist, former owner of Rocketships & Accessories and originator of Philadelphia’s National Hot Dog Month Celebration.
- Marge Schernecke, a community organizer and leader in Queen Village whose family has lived in the area for five generations.
- Paul Levy, founding CEO of the extremely successful Center City District and author of “Queen Village: The Eclipse of a Community.”
- Ruth and Rick Snyderman, founders of The Works and Snyderman Galleries, and key players in organizing the “South Street Renaissance.”
- Conrad Weiler, former activist on preventing displacement in gentrifying neighborhoods & Temple political science faculty member since 1968.
- John Coates, former housing development leader and executive director for SCPAC, a coalition of river-to-river community groups.