After over three hundred years of continuous use, the churchyard at Gloria Dei (Old Swedes’) Church was in desperate need of repair and restoration. Trees and shrubs had overrun the burial ground and needed pruning and thinning. Gravestones were badly broken, headpieces were missing or had sunken into the ground. Family tombs had been sealed for decades and were in danger of collapsing.

When The Rev. Joy Segal became the rector at Gloria Dei in 2006, she encouraged regular clean up events to help beautify and restore the churchyard. Parishioners worked many hours trimming healthy plants, removing tree stumps and overgrown bushes, and planting grass seed. Sadly, the beautiful Biddle family commemorative boxwoods — which were planted like a maze throughout the graveyard — were afflicted with root rot and could not be salvaged. But, as volunteers removed the brush, they made a fantastic discovery; several gravestones, long thought to be lost or stolen, were found underneath the overgrown shrubbery.

Gravestones dating back to 1721
Gravestones dating back to 1721

Surprisingly, the gravestones were in excellent condition as the boxwoods had provided years of protection against the elements. Unearthing these well-preserved stones inspired the parish to start a churchyard restoration program in 2010. An annual fundraiser was created and support for the project was gained through private donations and proceeds from church events. Thanks to these efforts, over forty severely damaged stones have been repaired and restored and a number of others have been raised, leveled, and cleaned.

Every summer, master artisans from Materials Conservation Co., Inc. work with Gloria Dei to identify stones in need of repair. The restoration process involves assessing the condition of the stones, testing and analyzing the materials, and performing conservation treatments. Repairs are made, such as reattaching missing decorative pieces, often found buried nearby. When the process is complete, the stones are restored to their original vibrant colors.

Sons of Andreas Sandel, Church Minister from 1702-1719
Sons of Andreas Sandel, Church Minister from 1702-1719

Segal encourages members of the community to visit the churchyard during the restoration process. Those fortunate enough to observe the work in 2013 witnessed the opening of the Justus family tomb, which was in remarkably good condition despite being located adjacent to an underground stream. The following year, the Stille family tombstone, which dates back the early 1700s, was repaired and restored. Johan Stille (1646-1722), the family patriarch, had served as one of Gloria Dei’s earliest churchwardens.

Although the churchyard restoration project has made great strides so far, it will take many years to raise the funds needed to restore the entire graveyard. Burial records indicate that the church has over six thousand interments, though the locations of many of these graves have been lost over time. By locating and restoring gravestones, the church can update incomplete burial records that will benefit parishioners, historians, and genealogists. As the project commences work this summer, consider lending your support to help revitalize and rejuvenate this important historic neighborhood treasure.

To support this project, make a tax-deductible donation at www.old-swedes.org.

Stille Family Tomb
Stille Family Tombstone, Restored 2014

Famous Interments at Old Swedes’

Gloria Dei’s churchyard is one of the oldest burial grounds in Philadelphia. its “tenants” include sea captains, scientists, revolutionary and civil war soldiers, artists, and ministers.

John HuntersonJOHN C. HUNTERSON (1841-1927)
Civil War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient, issued on August 2, 1897. His citation reads “While under fire, between the lines of the 2 armies, voluntarily gave up his own horse to an engineer officer whom he was accompanying on a reconnaissance and whose horse had been killed, thus enabling the officer to escape with valuable papers in his possession.”

 

 


William IrvineWILLIAM IRVINE (1741-1804)
Revolutionary War Continental Army Brigadier General, US Congressman. He graduated from Dublin University, became a physician, and served as a surgeon in the British Navy before immigrating to Pennsylvania in 1763. He resumed practicing medicine and was a Delegate to Pennsylvania’s anti-Stamp Act conventions in 1764 and 1766. Irvine also took part in Pennsylvania’s conventions held to consider independence in 1774 and 1775.

 

 


James PealeJAMES PEALE (1749-1834)
Artist. He served as a Captain in the 1st Maryland Continental Infantry during the Revolutionary War, seeing action at the Battles of Trenton, Princeton, Brandywine and Monmouth. He learned painting from his brother Charles Wilson Peale while serving as his assistant. After he left the Continental Army in 1779, Peale gained a reputation as a premier painter of miniature portraits and still lifes.

 

 


George OrdGEORGE ORD (1781-1866)
Naturalist, Ornithologist, Writer. After retiring from the rope making business, he pursued his lifelong interest in science. Ord published numerous articles in scientific periodicals and eventually served as president of the Academy of Natural Sciences. He was a friend and supporter of Alexander Wilson, whose unfinished work American Ornithology was completed by Ord after Wilson’s death.

 

 


Wilson_Alexander_1766-1813ALEXANDER WILSON (1766-1813)
Poet, Ornithologist, Naturalist, Illustrator. Identified by George Ord as the “Father of American Ornithology,” Wilson is now regarded as the greatest American ornithologist before Audubon. Several species of bird are named after him, including the Wilson’s storm-petrel, Wilson’s plover, Wilson’s phalarope, Wilson’s snipe, and Wilson’s warbler. He is buried next to George Ord, Wilson’s friend, patron, and continuator of his work.

This article was previously published in the May 2015 issue of QVNA’s Magazine. It has been reprinted with permission.

About the Author Amy Grant

Amy Grant is a graphic designer and web developer. She is the founder of the Southwark Historical Society, a volunteer based group that studies the Southwark Historical District located in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.